Love Them

One of the first things many parents tell our babies is, "I love you", or "Daddy loves you", or "Mommy loves you". It becomes a song that is sang every day in their little ears.  Over and over; from their little christening cap and gown to their graduating cap and gown and even beyond.  




Over the years of their growing up-and eventually maturing, you continue to tell them how much you love them.  Unless your child was born an "old soul", the maturing part may not happen until after 25...and possibly even 30.  But you still love them.  You may not love their immaturity--but you love "them".

Raising kids is harder now than it was when we were bringing up our two girls.  Cell phones and social media was not in the scope of things.  One of our main worries was, "watch where you walk because there are snakes outside".  "Don't play so close to the road, there are crazy drivers around here!" 

We lived on or was surrounded by dirt roads for most all our girls lives and they were well acquainted with them.  I was that mama though, who was constantly telling them what to look out for.  You would think with all the warning I did that I never let them have fun.  But I did.  They had the privilege of growing up country.  Living in the country and enjoying every aspect and freedom it offered.  They rode their bikes down almost every dirt road in the area with cousins and friends.  They were always home when they were supposed to be.  If they got into a pickle while they were out-- they had enough common sense to deal with it.  They had certain freedoms when they were adolescents, and as they were growing up--more freedom was given- as the maturity level advanced.

Today, I wouldn't dare let my grandkids even ride the streets around our house on their bikes without me or another adult.  It's not just the difference in the surroundings--it's the difference in the times we are living.  It's like night vs. day.

Why was I constantly on guard?  First, I'm a mama.  Second, because I love them.  I lived in eagle-eye-protect-mode.  I still do in a sense.  I constantly looked for ways to give insight of what happens when you make poor decisions.  Some would have thought I was hard for telling them things so plainly.  Some things COULD be said gently.  And there were some things--you just had to say it.  Yet, many lessons had to be learned the hard way:  experience.  I cried more tears over them learning than I did when I learned my own lessons growing up.

I love them.  And grandchildren?  Oh-my-goodness.  The warnings and reminders from Nana still come out of my mouth as if they were mine.  I mean-why would you not?  If you know the road ends in three miles--wouldn't you warn someone headed in that direction?

I love them with every fiber in me and Thank God daily for the gift that all 11 of mine are.  And I can promise you this Nana will always pray for them and will always love them--but I will always give them the words of wisdom, encouragement and every warning when I see or sense danger up ahead.  I will teach them how to make biscuits and how to talk to God at the same time.  I feel like that is what we are to do as parents and grandparents.

Teaching the single missionary girls biscuit making and Bible study (Costa Rica 2017)



Your kids and grandkids are missing out on experiences with you if you never tell them your stories.  Don't let it be that someone else has to tell your stories to them--because you didn't.  The mistakes YOU made might be avoided by them if you tell them the hardships and the scars it left on your life.  But if you don't tell them--they just might walk that same hard road of experience.  Oh, some will walk it regardless...but at least you can sleep at night knowing you gave them all you had.

Love them enough to tell them the hard things to hear.  

Love them enough to walk back down the road of memories of stupidity and embarrassment--it might keep them from doing the same.  All of your wrong choices might keep them from making the same ones.

Be the shoulder they need to cry on without the "I-told-you-so", because trust me, they remember it now.  

Be the one they come to for prayer--because they have heard you pray over and for them in the past.  Love them well mamas and daddies.  

You may be "Uncle" or auntie to them-but love them well.  With the wisdom they would have surrounding them--if poured out in love over them, you could save them many heartaches.  

Love them.  Even through their pain and mistakes, because I promise they will make them.   

Love them through it all. 

Arms around them. Love them.






© Angie Knight. All rights reserved. 

God has given each of you a gift from His great variety of spiritual gifts. Use them well to serve one another. 1 Peter 4:10 NLT

Comments

  1. I love this ! Got me to thinking. My Granddaughter just turned 17 , she’s so important to me. I’m going to put more of an effort into telling her about the “good ole days” when I was young. I’m sad she can’t experience it. May blessings to you and Thank you for this beautiful article 🩷

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Finally, Home.

Be the One

Gear UP!